Thursday, January 15, 2009

applying for internships

i got paid to slop mayo on hoagies and wear a stupid hat
when i was 14, and now i'm a grownup
unpaid internships hurt my pride
why don't you want to pay me to pore over manuscripts
and bring you lattes procured in painstaking code
i will wear my large eyeglasses more often
i will clear my throat before answering the phone in a polite and professional manner

i just want to write poems in my bathrobe
and eat toast on top of a quilt
and be a writer of poems with a typewriter
preferably blue

i don't have a bathrobe
but if you pay me $10 an hour i can afford to buy a bathrobe
i will not get evicted if you pay me $10 an hour
to bring you lunch
and stamp your manilla envelopes
and pull the metal spike through the loop and flatten the two prongs so the envelope stays shut, and put it in a mailbox

No comments: